Sunday, May 10, 2009

Le Cabaret Acrodancer Christa Kuenstler-Cox


Robert:

I really enjoyed reading your blog and it brought back many fantastic memories. I called my sister Candy Kuenstler and read your blog to her. She remembers your parents. In the beginning of her career with Rudas, she was in the traveling company. If I remember correctly she was in Japan, Greece, Iran, Canada, a circus in Europd, and many other countries that I don't remember. Candy was the baton twirler and a fantastic acrobat.

When I was 20, I went on vacation to the Bahamas to visit my sister. I had never seen a "Las Vegas" type of show. I remember sitting there watching and thinking to myself, "I want to do that". My sister made me take the acro classes and I guess that was my audition because 3 months after I got home, I got the call to return. I was there for about 5 years and left to go to Vegas. I was at the Tropicana Hotel in the Folies Bergere for 10 years as an acro dancer. I loved living in the Bahamas. Nothing compared on earth to Paradise Island. I haven't been back since I left and from the sound of your blog, I don't think I want to. I was in the show prior to Nights of the Buccaneers as well. I also did the ladders in the black light number. One night my T bar broke and I landed on my face and sprained a knuckle. Still have a rather large bump on the knuckle! Oh the fond memories! Mr. Rudas was so concerned about me, he made Ron Walker and his wife take me to Miami to have my injuries checked. Boy was that uncomfortable as those two sat there staring dreamily into each others eyes saying "Hello, Mr. Walker" "Hello, Mrs. Walker". God, I wanted to hide under the table!

I just got back from a fantastic weekend in Las Vegas. As you may or may not know, the powers that be decided to close the Folies Bergere after 49 years. The final show was Saturday night and they invited all past alumni. What a wonderful time it was although the hotel owners had let the show crumble over the years as they refused to put any money into it. The girl acrobats only did acrobatics in the can can and that was so watered down. What's a can can without bend back kicks? It was nice to reconnect with friends I had lost contact with over the years. When I left, there were no cell phones or Internet and I hate writing letters.

I got to Vegas Friday night and was told on Saturday night that they had a "Rudas Reunion" Friday night. Damn, missed that one. But then on Sunday, we all met for lunch. I saw Cheryl and Ian McClaren, Robyn, Maxine, Lindsey and various other people who's names escape me. Ian told me that they had a reunion a few years ago with some of the girls from the Bahamas for Mitzi's 50th birthday. I would have loved to have gone to that one.

I have attached a picture of the "Rudas Dancers" that had danced in the Folies when it was in the old show room. You might recognize a few faces. I'm the one in black and silver standing behind Ian on the end.

If anyone in the Bahamas remembers me, please send them my email address. I would love to hear from someone from the good ol' days!

Christa Kuenstler-Cox

If you are an old friend of Chritas's and would like her e-mail please contact me.... I am afraid to post it here for spam reasons...

No comments: